Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Return On Investment

Return On Investment (ROI) may be the most important fundamental tool in society today. Almost every significant business decision is made with at least some kind of ROI statement justification. It's something I learned about in high school to a slight degree in math class. In college, we learned how to calculate ROI for investments as well as projects inside a business. When I got my first sales job, it was one of the most critical points of my sales training, but once I started my actual job, I forgot about it and focused on product knowledge and let ROI fall by the wayside. What I've learned now, looking back, is how critical being able to understand and calculate ROI truly is. Now not every decision in life should be made with an ROI statement in mind, but when it comes to major purchases, weighing investments, and deciding on education, I believe an ROI statement is vital to each individual's success in business and in life.