Saturday, June 25, 2011

Financial Advice From Millionaires?

I just finished reading this article where Paul Sullivan, a columnist for the NY Times, meets with an investment group of self-made millionaires called Tiger 21 and they go through all of his finances and then proceed to challenge, or grill, him on what he is doing and why.  There is some sound advice in the article, and I would recommend reading it.  I've linked the article here.

While the advice is good, I have to say I found myself wanting more.  In the article, at the very end, Mr. Sullivan states that the group mostly made their money from having high paying jobs and investing well, or from starting businesses and building them up.  While in the meeting, he makes no mention of whether or not Mr. Sullivan's portfolio is in line with his retirement goals or if he is taking advantage of the investment opportunities that come his way.  In this article, I kept reading about how they were in good financial shape because they save money, but nowhere in the article does it talk about investing wisely and making your money work well for you.  I suppose you can only ask for so much free advise from a group of millionaires.  If you want to join their ranks, you're going to have to learn to think like them and play by their rules.

Good Luck and God Bless!